The first ships to be built in Halifax are the 3 Arctic Offshore Vesssels.
As this procurement program was begun several years ago, and Contracts for design work awarded in 2008, Presumably there is a design sitting in an office in Ottawa somewhere. The rendering above Comes from the DND project office, and represents the working design of the vessel.
Requirements (from DND)
- Able to operate year-round in medium first-year ice as well as the open ocean areas in the Atlantic and Pacific Canadian EEZ;
- Ice capability exclusively for their own mobility and not to provide icebreaking services to others;
- Able to sustain operations for up to four months;
- Range of at least six thousand eight hundred nautical miles;
- Cruise speed of at least 14 knots and a maximum speed of at least 17 knots;
- They will have a gun armament;
- be capable of embarking and operating, in up to sea state three, an on-board organic helicopter, up to and including a CH 148 Cyclone, with one flying and one maintenance crew.
Its worth noting that these vessels displace 5780 tonnes compared to the Halifax class frigate’s 4750 t, and at 98m are not much smaller (aprox. 30m). The extra weight is Due to the ice class Hull. The top speed of 17 Knots, is not much faster then the Current MCDV’s top speed of 15. The Mcdv’s slow speed is what planers say make it unsuitable for Coastal Patrol, so these AOPS will likely be limited to the Arctic Area of Operations. For more, See:The Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship (AOPS) Projectand CASR